Monday, September 01, 2008

I Felt Ubuntu

After using SUSE 10.1 for a year on my old desktop, i had to install pirated XP on the new PC just for the sake of troubleshooting my internet connection which suddenly stopped working ..

After reinstalling the drivers for LAN and buying a new LAN card, i came to know that its not the problem with the hardware.. but its with the ISP. So i went for Linux again and installed Ubuntu this time!

I am loving the Hardy Heron(Ubuntu 8.04) on my desktop. Just installed it over my XP and it installed right away from the windows installation program...!

I didn't want to play with the existing installation of windows so i chose to install heron in the D drives largest contiguous space and it worked right away...cool. Didn't took long to install it... and the desktop is cool. It includes many features over the older versions like the Deskbar(similar to Google desktop search), the Fspot photo manager and Firefox 3..and the new System Monitor which is even better than many of the monitoring utilities on XP!

I heard its wireless and power-saving capabilities are good and I recommend it to all users who are seeking an easy to use OS with basic needs on desktops...It runs pretty fast on my dual core 1.6 with just 512 MB RAM. Also has cool eye candy effects like the various animations. I have installed a vista-like theme on it and it looks so lovable..

To my surprise it has a Vista-like 3-D window switcher too(win key+tab)...! and a workspace-switcher cube as well. What more graphic effects can you expect in a free OS?

Ubuntu looks so cool that even XP users are installing Ubuntu themes!!
Look for yourself - http://blog.shankarganesh.com/2007/09/18/ubuntu-themes-for-windows-xp/

I am sticking to Linux..

No comments:

Linux Tips and Tricks

  Helpful Tips and Tricks for Linuxbies Disclaimer :  I came upon these tips and tricks on the Internet searching for solutions to the probl...